Tuesday, September 2, 2008

We Must, We Can, We Will

As we begin this new school year, I am confident of continued success for our district. We are innovative leaders in learning and our innovation leads to success...

The Texas Business and Education Coalition (TBEC) just announced that 298 public schools across the state had earned recognition on the 2008 TBEC Honor Roll. The TBEC Honor Roll is the most prestigious award for sustained, academic excellence in Texas. Four Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District (C-FB ISD) schools made the Honor Roll. The schools named were Blalack Middle School, Kent Elementary, McCoy Elementary, and Rainwater Elementary. This is an exceptional achievement for our district.

C-FB ISD high school seniors continue to excel on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) which includes a writing section with a multiple choice and an essay portion. Overall, the seniors in our district out-scored students in the state and nation. The combined score for C-FB ISD seniors was 1530 compared to 1511 for the nation and 1473 for the state. I am so proud of the determination and will of our students and staff to help accomplish this goal.

I am serious about this district's commitment to success. I expect high academic achievement; I expect rigor in the classroom; I expect unparalleled quality in every department; I expect phenomenal results. We must, we can, we will. That’s what I keep saying every day. We must, we can, we will.

2 comments:

Liz Laningham said...

While it is nice that CFB's SAT scores are higher than national and state scores, they seem to be much lower than our neighboring Lewisville ISD scores. LISD SAT scores are 1615 for 2008 and it is a much larger district that CFB. CFB has ~26,000 students and LISD has almost 50,000. CFB has ~7,500 high school students compared to LISD's ~13,000 high school students. Can you please explain why CFB has scores that are 75 points lower than the school district next door especially when they have twice as many students? Thank you.

Innovative Leaders in Learning said...

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your input.
I am proud of the work our students and teachers are doing. There is still much work to be done to close the achievement gaps.

It is so difficult to compare districts one to another. There are so many variables that come into play with a test like the SAT. One variable to consider when comparing district SAT scores, is the actual percentage of students who took the SAT of the total school population. The larger percentage of students tested, the lower the scores tend to be in most instances. For example, states or districts that test only the top 15-20% of their students usually post higher scores than states or districts that test a larger population of students. In C-FB, we encourage all students to take the test, and we have steadily increased the number of students taking the test.

We are a very different school district than all of our surrounding districts. Each of the districts around us, though, has one thing in common – we are all committed to educating our students.

I choose to focus on improving our scores and making sure that our students are college-ready. I truly believe that “we must, we can, we will” increase student achievement in C-FB including our SAT and ACT scores. It is so important that students leave our district prepared for their future. I take it seriously. I am so proud to be the superintendent of this district – a TEA Recognized School District.